Confused about the different principles to freeze & thaw cells and purified protein

Xuan Yang via methods%40net.bio.net (by pattisyang from gmail.com)
Thu Jul 23 21:24:50 EST 2009

Dear Sir or Madam,

When we store cells (especially eukaryotic cells), storage box filled with
isopropyl alcohol was used to prevent the temperature from dropping too
fast. While thawing the cells from liquid nitrogen, we put the tube
immediately into 37ºC water bath. Freezing slowly, thawing fast. This
strategy was totally contrary to the way we deal with purified proteins,
namely freezing rapidly (favorablely in liquid nitrogen), but thawing slowly
(favorablely on ice). It was quite confusing and I was wondering whether
anyone would be so kind to offer me some explanations.

Sincerely,

Xuan Yang

National Laboratory of Biomacromolecules and
Center for Infection and Immunity,
Institute of Biophysics,
Chinese Academy of Sciences,
Room 1617, 15 DaTun Road,Chaoyang District,
Beijing, China, 100101
Tel: 86-10-64884329
We will either find a way or make one.