guanidinium disposal

camjay via methods%40net.bio.net (by camjay from gmail.com)
Wed Jul 29 10:26:38 EST 2009

On 28 July, 23:25, "Laurel Cooper" <coop... from onid.orst.edu> wrote:
> I am cleaning out a bunch of old stuff in the lab I am in and there are
> numerous bottles of guanidinium isothiocyanate and guanidinium chloride
> solutions.  Can these be disposed of down the drain with lots of water or do
> they need to go to waste disposal.  They are solutions from commercial kits.

Here in Europe guanidinium isothiocyanate is rated "Harmful to aquatic
organisms" and "May cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic
environment" and I certainly wouldn't dispose of any down the drain.

Really you should seek local guidance from your institute, water
supply or sewerage company or appropriate regulatory authority.