How to exchange antibiotic resistance markers on plasmids for E. coli

David Liu via methods%40net.bio.net (by amanosz from yahoo.com)
Wed Jun 17 10:38:30 EST 2009

Actually, just started reading about the issue of origin of replications as well, and will end up moving the gene to a different plasmid with separate marker and ori, so original problem is solved.  Thanks!

But for the sake of discussion, wouldn't it be more ideal to have both different resistance marker *and* origin?  Sure it sounds doable to just have different resistance marker, but wouldn't asymmetric plasmid doubling potentially dilute one plasmid to effectively low copy number?  For example, two plasmids sharing an ori with copy number, say 40.  If you're unlucky at picking clones, you could conceivably result in a cell with 39 copies of one plasmid and 1 copy of the other.  Both resistance markers are present to satisfy the selection requirements but you'd have uneven protein expression, promoter differences notwithstanding.

David