agarose electrophoresis tank @ $10

Cathal Garvey via (by cathalgarvey from
Mon Jun 29 03:56:27 EST 2009

You might enjoy this article in the Science Creative Quarterly, which
explains how to use available-at-supermarket ingredients to perform DNA
extractions, gel electrophoresis and staining.
The short answer is: you can use agar, though the band will be a little
blurry, and you can use a blue food colouring to stain the DNA, the specific
name is in the article. Your agar might need to be good and pure, but if
it's just to demonstrate the principal of electrophoresis it's fine.