hplc problem

chicken_brain via methods%40net.bio.net (by RLDennis from gmail.com)
Tue Mar 10 15:25:59 EST 2009

Has anyone ever seen an HPLC output sine waves before? I've been
working with the same ESA Coulochem system for about 5 years and this
is a new one on me. Just running pumps and cells one day it started
producing sine waves. I figured it might be a mechanical interference,
I shut off all other things nearby except the machine itself and a
nearby freezer, didn't help. I shut down the entire system (pumps,
cells, software, everything), brought it back up and it was normal
again. A little while later when analyzing samples sine waves were
produced after the mobile phase spikes in a blank, and a few standards
(the peaks for the standards were also evident within the noise. This
sine wave noise had fairly high and consistent peaks over time (with 8
channels, channel 8 had the largest peaks, 1 had the smallest) but
frequency was consistent and similar to what I saw when running just
pumps without samples. Eventually it went away and the rest of the
samples ran perfectly.
Please let me know if anyone has ever seen this before and how you
fixed it. Any brainstorms would be welcome too!