smart oligo

Peter Ellis via methods%40net.bio.net (by pjie2 from cam.ac.uk)
Mon May 11 17:44:35 EST 2009

DK wrote:
> In article <mailman.148.1242063947.21502.methods from net.bio.net>, Marc-Aurel Fuchs <m.fuchs from qub.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Can you replace the SMART oligo that comes with the Clontech RACE kit with a
>> normal DNA primer of the same sequence?
>
> No reason why you can't. Just to be on a safer side, may consider
> using gel/HPLC purified oligo.

I haven't tried it personally, but my understanding is that this is
incorrect.

The SMART template-switching primer is a hybrid oligo - the majority is
DNA, but the last three bases are RNA.  So far as I know, the
template-switching only works with a hybrid oligo, not with a pure RNA
or a pure DNA oligo.

Peter