smart oligo

Seong Hwan Park via (by kuforen from
Mon May 11 20:02:29 EST 2009

The SMART oligo has three RNA bases at 3' end.
However, I've read an article about cDNA library technique, which
describes that authors used just DNA bases at 3' end of SMART oligo
and got a good result.
I think d(GGG) instead of r(GGG) will also work, but less efficiently.
In the patent document of SMART oligo, addition of phosphate to the 3'
end of r(GGG) made the background clean.

2009/5/12 Marc-Aurel Fuchs <m.fuchs from>:
> Can you replace the SMART oligo that comes with the Clontech RACE kit with a normal DNA primer of the same sequence?
> Or does it have to be an RNA oligo?
> Thanks,  fuchse
> Methods from

Seong Hwan Park, M.D., Ph.D.
Instructor in Legal Medicine,
College of Medicine, Korea University
126-1 Anadong 5ga, Seongbukgu, Seoul 136-704
South Korea

E-mail: kuforen from or pelvis from
Tel: 82-2-920-6158
Fax: 82-2-928-3901