no antibiotics when transfecting/infecting. Why?

Han via methods%40net.bio.net (by nobody from nospam.not)
Fri May 29 20:25:58 EST 2009

dk from no.email.thankstospam.net (DK) wrote in
news:BP%Tl.81347$uD3.48715 from newsfe20.iad:

> In article <Xns9C1AD75F2DF8Cikkezelf from 216.151.153.139>, Han
> <nobody from nospam.not> wrote:
>>Just showing my ignorance.  I just overheard people talk about failing
>>infections (lentivirus/AAV2) or transfections when the cells to be
>>infected or transfected are in antibiotic containing media.  Why is
>>this so?
>
> Details? What antybiotics - the usual anti-bacterial ones or the
> selective drug? No experience with lentivirus but can tell about
> transfections: if the former, then the claims are simply not true -
> transfections work fine with the pen/strep or gentamicin; if the
> latter, then the reason for not working should be obvious.
>
> DK

It was the usual pen/strep.  Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll have to
needle my colleagues.  They stated that it was well-known it didn't work,
but couldn't explain why.

--
Best regards
Han