no antibiotics when transfecting/infecting. Why?

Aawara Chowdhury via methods%40net.bio.net (by aawara from pontiff-playground.org)
Sat May 30 09:52:11 EST 2009

In <Xns9C1ADA06B9F68ikkezelf from 216.151.153.60>,
 Han <nobody from nospam.not> wrote:

>> Details? What antybiotics - the usual anti-bacterial ones or the
>> selective drug? No experience with lentivirus but can tell about
>> transfections: if the former, then the claims are simply not true -
>> transfections work fine with the pen/strep or gentamicin; if the
>> latter, then the reason for not working should be obvious.
>>
>> DK
>>
> It was the usual pen/strep.  Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll have to
> needle my colleagues.  They stated that it was well-known it didn't work,
> but couldn't explain why.

Agree 100% with Dima.  We do lentiviral/retroviral infections all the time,
in media containing antibiotics. Now anti-fungals are another matter. Many
of them impact the infectivity of enveloped viruses that contain cholesterol
rich lipid membranes - like retroviruses and lentiviruses.

AC

--
Email: echo 36434455860060025978157675027927670979097959886449930P | dc