no antibiotics when transfecting/infecting. Why?

Han via (by nobody from nospam.not)
Sat May 30 16:54:23 EST 2009

Aawara Chowdhury <aawara from> wrote in
news:vKbUl.117450$HZ1.10056 from newsfe15.iad:

> In <Xns9C1ADA06B9F68ikkezelf from>,
>  Han <nobody from nospam.not> wrote:
>>> Details? What antybiotics - the usual anti-bacterial ones or the
>>> selective drug? No experience with lentivirus but can tell about
>>> transfections: if the former, then the claims are simply not true -
>>> transfections work fine with the pen/strep or gentamicin; if the
>>> latter, then the reason for not working should be obvious.
>>> DK
>> It was the usual pen/strep.  Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll have
>> to needle my colleagues.  They stated that it was well-known it
>> didn't work, but couldn't explain why.
> Agree 100% with Dima.  We do lentiviral/retroviral infections all the
> time, in media containing antibiotics. Now anti-fungals are another
> matter. Many of them impact the infectivity of enveloped viruses that
> contain cholesterol rich lipid membranes - like retroviruses and
> lentiviruses.
> AC
Thanks, Aawara.  I can easily see antifungals interfering with membrane

Best regards
email address is invalid