RNA ligation

Nick Theodorakis via methods%40net.bio.net (by nick.theodorakis from gmail.com)
Fri Nov 20 22:35:57 EST 2009

On Nov 20, 9:58 pm, Aawara Chowdhury <aaw... from pontiff-playground.org>
wrote:
> In <4e7e0a8e-85b3-4eda-9190-7740ce3fc... from p35g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
>  Nick Theodorakis <nick.theodora... from gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >> Won't work for mRNA - there is no free 5'phosphate.
>
> > He specified that his RNA population is uncapped and phosphorylated in
> > his original post. I don't know how it got that way, but I can imagine
> > at least one scenario.
>
> Then it cannot be mRNA.  It could be pre-mRNA or hnRNA, but mRNA needs
> to be capped.

Well, whatever. I'll just assume that the OP knows something about the
RNA he has. But consider it could be:

1) prokaryotic or viral origin
2) mRNA that was chemically decapped or partially degraded
3) he could be looking for degradation intermediates.

If you want to get nitpicky I suppose you can call 2) or 3) "mRNA-
derived RNA fragments" or something, if that will make you happy.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nick_theodorakis from hotmail.com