lyophilizing leaf tissue

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum via (by engelbert_buxbaum from
Thu Nov 26 11:34:24 EST 2009

Am 24.11.2009, 09:46 Uhr, schrieb Jeremy Coate <coatej from>:

> Hi savy methodologists,
> I need to lyophilize leaf tissue prior to shipping overseas. The tissue
> will
> be used for analysis of lipids, which are vulnerable to endogenous
> lipases,
> so I am planning to collect the tissue into liquid N2, freeze dry and
> ship
> on dry ice to try to ensure that these lipases don't have a chance to do
> their thing. I have never used a lyophilizer and have concerns that I'm
> using it incorrectly, and that the samples are thawing.
> I'm using a Labconco FreeZone 18 freeze dryer with a bulk dryer unit on
> top

You should have somebody show you how to use the instrument correctly.
That only takes 2 min, rocket science it ain't. Lyophilizers consist of a
vacuum pump and a cold trap. You connect your deep frozen sample to it,
and the solvent (water in your case) sublimates. The vapor is condensed in
the cold trap, which has to be cleaned from time to time. All the heat
coming into your sample from the environment is used to increase the
sublimation rate, the heat of evaporation ensures that the sample stays
frozen until all solvent has been removed.

In your case however, it perhaps would be more appropriate to extract the
lipids and ship those. See
         AUTHOR= {M.S. Radin},
         TITLE= {Extraction of tissue lipids with a solvent of low
         YEAR= {1981},
         JOURNAL= {Meth. Enymol.},
         PAGES= {5-7},
         VOLUME= {72},
         LANGUAGE= {engl}
which uses cyclohexane rather than chloroform as in
         AUTHOR= {E.G. Bligh and W.J. Dyer},
         TITLE= {A rapid method for total lipid extraction and
         YEAR= {1959},
         JOURNAL= {Canadian J. Biochem. Physiol.},
         PAGES= {911-917},
         VOLUME= {37},
         NUMBER= {8},
         LANGUAGE= {engl}
The trick with all these procedure is to work under nitrogen, to prevent
lipid peroxidation.