Mitochondrial isolation for mt DNA extraction from Earthworms

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum via (by engelbert_buxbaum from
Wed Oct 7 08:08:14 EST 2009

Am 05.10.2009, 02:48 Uhr, schrieb luiscunhamx <luisnevescunha from>:

> Dear collegues
> I wonder if anyone ever tried to isolate mitochondrias from earthworms
> for posterior mtDNA extraction, could anyone send me a good protocol?
> I am having a lot of trouble doing that, probably due to soil
> contamination in the digestive tract, even after depuration and I am
> getting very low yield of mtDNA. Any help?? I am working with
> Pontoscolex corethrurus, my model organism :).

For histology, it is customary to feed earthworms for two weeks on humid
filter paper pieces, which are changed daily. That removes any soil from
their digestive tract, which would otherwise nick the microtome knife.