(kein Betreff)

Mon Oct 12 16:25:17 EST 2009

Well.. I once spilled a 10mg/ml ethidium bromide a couple of ml on my palm and I am perfectly healthy and have had a normal life so far.  Me and my wife have been working with ethidium bromide for more than a decade now and we have perfectly normal and healthy children. Just be careful but don't get hysteric if it falls on your hand. Follow the recommendations for cleaning it off as soon as possible.  It is not that dangerous as people say it is, but I would take every precaution, lest I become the first guinea pig.  I guess from my experience, a spill once or twice inyour life time should be fine :-))) It is mostly hysteria. Anyway, there are no studies showing it to be a carcinogen in humans yet.  So it is always a "suspected" carcinogen / mutagen due to its DNA intercalating properties.  It defenitely is safer than cigarrette smoke (proven carcinogen).
   Bye and best of luck in handling.
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [mailto:methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Allan
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:09 PM
To: methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: (kein Betreff)

Hi!

I'm back to the old ethidium topic again! I have been working with this chemical a lot over the past two years and have been wondering how mutagenic/carcinogenic/teratogenic it actually is in the body. I can't imagine whether it will be resorbed via the skin into the blood system or whether a polar molecule of this size will cross the blood-brain barrier/seratoli barrier/placenta.

Don't get me wrong, I am careful with this substance, but being quite a worryful person, I am sometimes worried that somewhere in the lab there could be contamination from coworkers (you can't always run around with a UV light)

Different people in the lab treat the chemical with different degrees of caution and I just wonder whether microgram quantities present a serious risk or if they are rather more comparable to smoking a cigarette.

I sometimes ask myself whether the amount of hysteria made around etbr is justified when chemicals like formaldehyde, phenol and chloroform are also used in the lab.

Does anyone have a clue as to the risk of this chemical (in comparision to say a cigarette), especially in terms of crossing the placenta etc.
and do you know how long it is stable in normal light?

Thanks for any answers, as I am getting a little worried about the substance!

All the best,

Allan