Peptide/Amino Fusion by Chemistry

Cathal Garvey via methods%40net.bio.net (by cathalgarvey from gmail.com)
Fri Oct 16 03:14:52 EST 2009

Thanks for the detailed replies!
After doing some reading yesterday on the matter, it seems far less simple
than I'd thought it would be.

To refine what I was asking, what I'm looking at doing is using a
synthesised strand of Peptide Nucleic Acid, which would have an N and C
terminus and would probably lack protection (aside from whatever blocking
groups were used to build the chain). To that I'd aim to fuse a protein
produced in the lab by e.coli, which I think is expected to have natural
protection or blocking groups on either terminus (?).

I have read a little about inteins, which seem to be a clever way of having
protective groups cut themselves off. If they work well enough to generate a
large quantity of unprotected protein, it should mean both of my fragments
(PNA and protein) are unprotected at the relevant termini.

So, for unprotected termini and straightforward N-C fusion, what would you
recommend as an in-lab fusion reaction? Please note that I'm a molecular
biologist by trade, rather than an organic chemist.