Querry regarding silver staining for glycoproteins

Mr.Pradeep Kumar Iyer Group Leader, Bio Tech, HRF via methods%40net.bio.net (by pradeepiyer from heterodrugs.com)
Mon Oct 19 23:26:25 EST 2009

Dear All,

           I have this confusion on the silver staining of glycoproteins in
IEF gels. I have observed that with increasing glycosylation, the intensity
of the glycoproteins after silver stain decreases. I attribute this to the
masking of the aminoacids by the glycan chain resulting in the decrease in
efficiency of the silver stain. Has anyone done an IEF for deglycosylated
molecule? Does it give a more intense band than the glycosylated one? My
next experiment would be that but if that is observed by most of  you, I
would not waste my resources on doing that. Kindly give some inputs.

Regards,
Pradeep Iyer

--=20
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate =96 Henr=
J. Tillman