Peptide/Amino Fusion by Chemistry

Fri Oct 23 10:29:55 EST 2009

Am 16.10.2009, 04:14 Uhr, schrieb Cathal Garvey <cathalgarvey from gmail.com>:

> To refine what I was asking, what I'm looking at doing is using a
> synthesised strand of Peptide Nucleic Acid, which would have an N and C
> terminus and would probably lack protection (aside from whatever blocking
> groups were used to build the chain). To that I'd aim to fuse a protein
> produced in the lab by e.coli, which I think is expected to have natural
> protection or blocking groups on either terminus (?).

It would probably be a lot easier to make a new DNA construct and express
that. The chemistry involved in your fusion reaction might be feasible, if
complicated, in peptides. However, it would almost certainly destroy the
secondary and tertiary structure of a protein.

If you could live with linking peptide (e.g. a hapten) and protein (as
carrier) at some reactive residue, rather then a C-to-N linkage, that
would be a lot simpler, and there are a lot of tried procedures out there
(think HRP-antibody conjugates).