NUpage gel problem

Scott Brown via methods%40net.bio.net (by SBrown from ccia.unsw.edu.au)
Tue Apr 20 19:43:11 EST 2010

Just call invitrogen and tell them if they don't replace your gel doc your going to switch to biorad

Scott Brown
PhD Candidate
-----Original Message-----
From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [mailto:methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of WS
Sent: Wednesday, 21 April 2010 7:42 AM
To: methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: Re: NUpage gel problem

On Apr 20, 7:26 pm, Nick Theodorakis <nick.theodora... from gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Apr 20, 4:58 am, Chris McDermott-Roe>
> <cjmcdermott... from googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > I'm having a rather basic and embarassing problems with an Invitrogen NuPAGE
> > gel.  I'm attempting to run a regular bis-tris 4-12 % bis-tris pre-cast at
> > 100 V using the supplied 20x MOPS SDS buffer but literally a second or two
> > after commencing, all stops and an E1 message appears on my power supply.
> > The only way I can actually get my proteins to go anywhere is by replacing
> > the dummy gel which I've put in the tank with a second real gel.  I'm v
> > puzzled and any help is gratefully received.
>
> Is the buffer leaking out when a dummy gel is attached? Perhaps the
> "real gels" form a better seal on the tank than the dummy.

<rant>
Hm. Sometimes a simple power supply, instead of those high tech
dingies (which claim that they do all the thinking for you) seems to
do the trick. You simply adjust the voltage, set a maximum current and
there you go. When the chamber wreaks havoc, you may turn the knobs
and still get your results and don't loose your precious samples.

-> Better check with those companies who provide power supplies for
electronic labs, you'll get more value for your money. At least for
people in Europe, this here is a good address: http://buerger-electronic.de/
(No affiliation, just a satisfied customer :)
</rant>

Wo