Blood is settling

Han via methods%40net.bio.net (by nobody from nospam.not)
Wed Aug 25 06:38:13 EST 2010

"Jayakumar, R" <R.Jayakumar from roswellpark.org> wrote in
news:mailman.59.1282704437.1545.methods from net.bio.net:

> Since you are studying platelet adhesion, do you need red blood cels
> around.  YOu could remove them by sedimenting them out and then use
> the plasma for your flow studies. jay

> From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu
> [methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Joshua Silverstein
> [silverstein.joshua from gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:52 PM
> To: methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
> Subject: Re: Blood is settling
>
> Hi all -
>
> I sent this a while ago and never really found a response that seemed
> like a viable option.  Could anyone suggest some other perturbation
> that may inhibit red blood cell sedimentation?  I'd prefer to not add
> any solutes (unless they are entirely benign) to the blood like others
> suggested.
>
> Thanks
> Josh
>
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Joshua Silverstein <
> silverstein.joshua from gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi again -
>>
>> I'm running blood over some surfaces under flow with a syringe pump.
>> The problem is that the blood seems to settle extremely quickly when
>> it is on it's side in the pump.  A colleague suggested putting a stir
>> bar inside the syringe but I am worried about activating the
>> platelets and since the primary objective of this experiment is to
>> assess platelet adhesion, I don't know if that's a good idea.  Any
>> other suggestions or at least a maximum speed so that I do not skew
>> the results?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Josh Silverstein

> information.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the
> employee or agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the
> intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
> copying, distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited.  If
> you have received this message in error, please notify the sender
> immediately by e-mail and delete this email message from your
> computer. Thank you.

Yes you do need whole blood, since erythrocytes generally enhance
platelet activation (through active release of adenine nucleotides) and
white cells may either inhibit or enhance platelet activation.  I've
never done the OP's type of experiment, but there are many, many
descriptions inthe literature.  The best approach would be to ask one of
the many groups for advice.  One of these groups is led by Zaverio
Ruggeri at Scripps.

--
Best regards
Han