Alternative for PD-10 columns?

Michael Sullivan via methods%40net.bio.net (by mlsulliv from wisc.edu)
Tue Feb 2 10:02:45 EST 2010

On Feb 2, 2010, at 6:16 AM, Nick Theodorakis wrote:

> On Feb 2, 5:26 am, WS <novalidaddr... from nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>> Dear Experts,
>>
>> is there any commercial (and preferably cheaper) alternative to PD-10
>> desalting columns?
>> (They are filled with Sephadex G-25, sample volume is up to 2.5ml,
>> elution volume is 3.5ml).
>

> Buy the empty disposable columns and fill them yourself.
> Alternatively, if you can work with low (100 ul) volumes, you can pour
> them in 1cc syringes and do spin-column desalting.

One doesn't even need to limit oneself to a small volume. I've run
spin columns with 3 and 5 mL syringe barrels. I've found I can easily
apply up to 1/3 of matrix volume, get good recovery and good
desalting. Details of my column procedure can be found in Crop
Science 46:662-670 (2006).

Mike

> ---

Michael L. Sullivan