Home Brew Semi-Dry Blotter

Mon Feb 15 06:04:51 EST 2010

Dear Colleagues,

I thought of home-making a small semi dry blotter. I noticed that in
some devices, one electrode is made of stainless steel, the other one
of titanium. Or could one use titanium for both electrodes? In my
experience, by accidentally reversing the current, the steel plate
becomes oxidized - is the steel plate just a way of saving costs?

I wonder about the electric connections (probably soldering is *not*
good (tin will be prone to corrosion), stainless steel resp. titanium
wire and screws either of the same material or non-conductive plastic
should be the best choice) and the orientation of the electrodes -
which one is anode and which one is cathode? Is there anything
important about the housing?

Any experience, ideas, suggestions, comments?

Many thanks and best regards,

Wo