Gel Solubilization Buffer Composition

Nick Theodorakis via methods%40net.bio.net (by nick.theodorakis from gmail.com)
Sat Jan 9 15:40:27 EST 2010

On Jan 9, 11:40 am, Jagadish Katam <jagadish... from hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on purifying the DNA by gel extraction procedure and are using the commercially available kits for this purpose. A yellow color gel solubilization buffer is used to dissolve the sliced gel.
>
> Here i would know the composition of this gel solubilization buffer.

In general, agarose gel solubilization can be done with chaotropic
salts such as NaI, sodium perchlorate, or guanidine HCl. These also
work well in conjunction with silica-based binding resins because DNA
binding to silica is promoted in high salt.  I doubt the company will
tell you exactly what is in their buffer, but it is likely similar to
one the salts I mentioned, possibly with additives added as a
stabilizer or other use.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis