posting - METHODS-AND-REAGENTS/bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts

Cathal Garvey via methods%40net.bio.net (by cathalgarvey from gmail.com)
Tue Jan 26 09:44:13 EST 2010

Very similar to the situation where you might want to get something
repaired; many Biotech equipment manufacturers don't actually want to
maintain legacy equipment, so the costs of repair are higher than the costs
of new equipment.

I took two PCR Thermal Cyclers home from our lab one day; they were broken
in only minor ways, requiring minimal repair that I could even do myself,
but their certificates and warranties would be void (so not suitable for our
Lab's GOP). The costs of repair would have bought a newer, better Thermal
Cycler. Two more or less fine Mastercycler Gradient Machines destined for
landfill!

I hope you can get your software one way or another. Especially as it's free
for the company to provide, it'd be very frustrating to do without. Be sure
to check if there is an open source alternative available for controlling
your equipment, you'd be surprised what sorts of software are bundled with
the average distribution of Linux for Life Sciences and Chemistry.

2010/1/26 lautys <lautys from gmail.com>

> > Contact your local BioRad representative. If they are unhelpful, let us
> > know so that we can avoid buying instruments from them.
> >

> Unfortunately most of the companies are like that, you lost your CD, you
> got
> to get a new one, no free reinstallment. Our lab faced the similar
> situation
> before, inherited old instruments but software are either corrupted or
> workstation formatted by IT department and CDs were lost.
>
> Solution? Companies quote us quotations with each CDs cost > Malaysian
> dollar 10k (1USD = 3.39MYR). Otherwise, no test can be proceed. One of the
> companies was GE. After calculate possible costs e.g. service charge,
> change
> of parts and etc, we end up with new instrument. :)

letters.cunningprojects.com
twitter.com/onetruecathal