posting - METHODS-AND-REAGENTS/bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts

Cathal Garvey via methods%40net.bio.net (by cathalgarvey from gmail.com)
Wed Jan 27 05:40:23 EST 2010

I think it's more a matter of whether the Lab supervisor/staff want to be
seen using a home-repaired thermal cycler. I don't have much respect for the
kind of person who snubs research because of such trivial things, but
apparently those who paid for the equipment here do.
Which suits me quite well, as I'm the proud owner of two Thermal Cyclers as
a result!
-Cathal

2010/1/26 Peter Ellis <pjie2 from cam.ac.uk>

> Cathal Garvey wrote:
>
>> Very similar to the situation where you might want to get something
>> repaired; many Biotech equipment manufacturers don't actually want to
>> maintain legacy equipment, so the costs of repair are higher than the
>> costs
>> of new equipment.
>>
>> I took two PCR Thermal Cyclers home from our lab one day; they were broken
>> in only minor ways, requiring minimal repair that I could even do myself,
>> but their certificates and warranties would be void (so not suitable for
>> our
>> Lab's GOP).
>>

> If the warranty doesn't cover the cost of repairs, why does it matter if
> it's void?
>
> Peter

letters.cunningprojects.com
twitter.com/onetruecathal