posting - METHODS-AND-REAGENTS/bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts

Wed Jan 27 16:45:21 EST 2010

Am 26.01.2010, 03:54 Uhr, schrieb lautys <lautys from gmail.com>:

>> Contact your local BioRad representative. If they are unhelpful, let us
>> know so that we can avoid buying instruments from them.
>>

> Unfortunately most of the companies are like that, you lost your CD, you
> got
> to get a new one, no free reinstallment. Our lab faced the similar
> situation
> before, inherited old instruments but software are either corrupted or
> workstation formatted by IT department and CDs were lost.
>
> Solution? Companies quote us quotations with each CDs cost > Malaysian
> dollar 10k (1USD = 3.39MYR). Otherwise, no test can be proceed. One of
> the
> companies was GE. After calculate possible costs e.g. service charge,
> change
> of parts and etc, we end up with new instrument. :)

Exactly that is one of the things that usenet is good for. If word about
good or bad customer care spreads, we get choices. I can understand a
reasonable handling fee in such cases, and may be there also was a major
software upgrade. But when the service becomes more expensive than the
original product, than "service" becomes a bad joke. And I rather know
that before I buy expensive equipment.