Saponin replacement?

Wed Jul 28 08:09:37 EST 2010

Zap them in the microwave :-)
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [mailto:methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of WS
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 5:12 PM
To: methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: Re: Saponin replacement?

Dear Joshua,

If you just need to kill your cells, why not simply use ethanol (preferably a decent single malt, these cells are of HUMAN origin)...
Heat, pH, hydrogen peroxide, formaldehyde or other evil stuff that you might have at your hands, might work, too.
If you should want a more sophisticated assault, eg Streptolysin O (makes pores, too, but usually not on stock in your fridge) or antibiotics like G418 might be helpful. If you should want to be even more mean, simply deprive them of food, i.e. glucose: keep them in PBS or water To be sure, combine any three of the above.

/ Wo