(no subject)

Nick Theodorakis via methods%40net.bio.net (by nick.theodorakis from gmail.com)
Tue Jun 8 22:47:33 EST 2010

On Jun 8, 10:12 am, "Allan Jones" <allan.jo... from gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> There is currently a lot of radiation work going on in our lab and i am always worried about people contaminating stuff with small amounts of isotopes the geiger counter does not detect very well (ie tritium, 14c, 35s).
>
> Now I have looked into the definition of annual limit on intake and so on and am slightly confused. The ALI values seem extermely high, so does this mean the amounts (a couple of µCi) we use are not particularly dangerous?
>
> I do not assume anything is contaminated, but am a worrysome person and some of the people here seem quite relaxed concerning radioactivity. I guess however that back in their days its use was much more common.
>
> What do you think?

As a point of comparison, I once had a medical imaging test in which I
was injected with 5 mCi (yes, that's milli) of radioactive thallium.
When I got back to lab, they said, ha ha, let's see if you're
radioactive, and held a geiger counter up to my chest. If course, I
made the geiger counter chatter, at which point it seemed they all
backed away and said, "oh." They kept me away from the x-ray film for
a couple of weeks.

Anyway, the point is that lab use of radioactivity is typically a
couple of orders magnitude less than nuclear medicine use. Of course,
they should not be careless about radioactivity, just as they should
not be careless about other hazards such as phenol, formaldehyde, or
razor blades. Or leaving a puddle of water on the floor next to the
ice machine.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis