BarSpec Chrom-A-Scope anyone?

Tue Jun 29 16:22:02 EST 2010

Dear all,

I found this HPLC spectral detector in a stock room. It's funny stuff
with a rotating grid instead of the 'usual' static prism & diode
array, said to be very gentle to the sample as the photon load is
small. BarSpec, the Israeli company from Reovot who developed and
marketed it, seems not to exist anymore AFIK and the internet only
reveals people wohe were using it some time ago, no manuals and other
information.

I really would like to reactivate it, as I also have got the software
on 5 1/4" floppies (wonder if they are still readable) and the whole
stuff requires GEM as graphical system (yes, I am still keeping my
first computer, an IBM XT clone, somewhere in my parents' place). So
much about the knowledge if have obtained so far. The machine powers
up, the spectral lamps don't start without software control as it
seems, and I'll need to glue a mirror back into its bearing (Luckily,
it didn't break into pieces when it fell off).

I would like to ask if there is anyone familiar with this crazy item,
and might sacrifice her/himself for answering some questions as they
might occur during the resuscitation process.

Actually, my goal is to run the whole stuff in a virtual machine on a
Linux system, as all the control software needs to access, is a serial
port to control the instrument and to read the data.

Many thanks for your help!

Wolfgang