Isolating Platelets and removing plasma proteins?

Thu May 13 07:16:55 EST 2010

In article <mailman.642.1273703580.25217.methods from net.bio.net>,
silverstein.joshua from gmail.com says...

> Hi team -
>
> Anyone have a good protocol for isolating platelets and removing plasma
> proteins through a Sepharose column?  I've been having trouble with this and
> fresh blood is hard to come by!!!

You can not separate cell typess by gel filtration. This is usually done
by centrifugation, either fractionated or in an isotonic gradient. Such
gradients can be formed for example with ficoll, metrizamide or
nycodenz. Since only cells, but not the plasma proteins, enter such a
gradient, this step will also separate the cells from the proteins.