how to color the stacking gel

James Monkman via methods%40net.bio.net (by James.Monkman from qimr.edu.au)
Tue May 18 17:39:19 EST 2010

Hi,
We use bromophenol blue to colour the stacking gel, which migrates as
the dye front during the electrophoresis run. As it runs out of the gel,
it doesn't really matter what concentration it's used at, but as a guide
we use about 20-30ul of a 1% w/v solution per 10ml of stacking monomer.

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 12:37:48 +0200
From: "Iraz Toprak Aydin" <iraz.aydin from epfl.ch>
Subject: how to color the stacking gel?
To: <methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu>

Hello!

I have seen some SDS PAGE gels with red  or orange stacking part that
makes
the wells visible. They use phenol red for the red stacking gel. But I
couldn't find the concentration of phenol red they use for this purpose.
Does anybody have any experience in this?

Thanks in advance!

Iraz Toprak Aydin

EPFL SV ISREC, Station 19

Batiment SV, SV 2540

CH-1015 Lausanne

Switzerland

Tel: +41 21 693 07 36

e-mail:   <mailto:iraz.aydin from epfl.ch> iraz.aydin from epfl.ch

End of Methods Digest, Vol 60, Issue 11