how to color the stacking gel?

Thu May 20 09:28:08 EST 2010

In article <mailman.660.1274196613.25217.methods from net.bio.net>,
iraz.aydin from epfl.ch says...

> Hello!
>

> I have seen some SDS PAGE gels with red  or orange stacking part that makes
> the wells visible. They use phenol red for the red stacking gel. But I
> couldn't find the concentration of phenol red they use for this purpose.
> Does anybody have any experience in this?

See

@ARTICLE{Smi-88,
  author       = {I. Smith and R. Cromie and K. Stainsby},
  title        = {Seeing gel wells well},
  journal      = {Anal. Biochem.},
  volume       = {169},
  year         = {1988},
  pages        = {370-371},
  doi          = {10.1016/0003-2697(88)90297-7},
  language     = {engl},
}

Note however, that this works only with negative detergents like SDS. If
you do electrophoresis with positively charged detergents like CTAB, you
need a different dye:

@INPROCEEDINGS{Bux-09,
  author       = {E. Buxbaum},
  title        = {Cationic electrophoresis and eastern blotting},
  chapter      = {14},
  pages        = {115-128},
  editor       = {B.T. Kurien and R.H. Scofield},
  booktitle    = {Protein blotting and detection -- {M}ethods and
protocols},
  publisher    = {Humana},
  year         = {2009},
  volume       = {536},