Unexpressable protein

Peter Ellis via methods%40net.bio.net (by pjie2 from cam.ac.uk)
Sat Sep 25 20:54:58 EST 2010

On 26/09/2010 02:13, DK wrote:
> In article<8g7dvnFjcgU1 from mid.individual.net>, Peter Ellis<pjie2 from cam.ac.uk>  wrote:
 >>
>> A consideration I hadn't explained is that I'm distinguishing between an
>> X gene and an autosomal relative, so a peptide antibody was necessary to
>> direct it to regions of greatest divergence between the two.  As for the
>> ease or otherwise of expressing proteins in E. coli, that's kind of the
>> problem here!
>
> Well, probably not for all of the protein's fragments?

True, true, though at some point the distinction between "protein
fragment" and "peptide" starts to become a little blurred!  I'll bear
this in mind when making antibodies in future.  The other project I'm
working on involves distinguishing between three protein families with
 >=90% amino acid identity.

Good luck doing that without peptide ABs... but that's a whole different
story.  Not a new story if I'm honest, if you do a search on this
newsgroup, it was a couple of years ago that I first started noticing
I'd ended up with a particularly recalcitrant set of target genes.

Peter