vacoular or plasma membrane protein?

Sun Apr 3 18:01:36 EST 2011

In article <mailman.476.1300830859.20886.methods from net.bio.net>,
emad.albarouki from landw.uni-halle.de says...

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a question concerning a plasma membrane protein, which have been
> expected using different proteomic software to be localized on the plasma
> membrane.
>
> After tagging with gfp it looks to be localized in more than 80%  on vesicle
> structures which we assumed to be vacuoles.
>
> Is it possible to be a bifunctional protein such as transporter on plasma
> membrane and vacuole? or that could be an artifact of gfp fusion process?
>
> Is there any programs or software can discriminate between both
> compartment's proteins?

Software can make predictions, but those have to be checked by
experiment. Homogenisation of the cells and fractionisation on a sucrose
gradient in an ultracentrifuge would be a classical way of doing it, or
immunofluorescence microscopy.