Can spilled protein be recovered?

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum via (by engelbert_buxbaum from
Wed Dec 28 10:28:53 EST 2011

In article <mailman.20.1324276765.3721.methods from>,
Paul.Phelan from says...
> This is kind of a trivial question, less technical than the usual, but
> I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on whether it is worth
> trying to recover spilled protein.

If the sample were valuable enough, I'd collect the spillage, for
example with a plastic syringe. Then I'd filter the content through a
low-protein binding (polysulfone) 0.22 µm membrane, to remove any
particulate contaminants (dust, bacteria etc.). To be thorough, I'd
repeat the last (polishing) step of the purification protocol of that