quantifying PCR bands

Adam . via methods%40net.bio.net (by anonwums1 from gmail.com)
Fri Feb 18 00:20:16 EST 2011

I believe you want to use a method called densitometry. This website
explains how to do it in Photoshop and ImageJ:

http://lukemiller.org/journal/2007/08/quantifying-western-blots-without.html

Of course, you have to make sure that all of your gels/films are scanned in
a similar fashion to compare them to eachother. If your UV transilluminator
has a camera, you may want to just take digital photos of your gels rather
than print them out and scan the thermal paper. As always, make sure the
experiments are as comparable as possible, eg use the same ethidium bromide
concentration, don't switch ECL reagents, etc. It's always best to have a
band to normalize to.

Adam