schistome snail host tissue isolation, storage & DNA extraction

Sandra Emme via methods%40net.bio.net (by sandysu57 from bellsouth.net)
Sat Jan 22 09:20:38 EST 2011

Hi DIEUDONNE,

I've done many extractions of snail tissue, but never for a study of parasites.
I don't know what tissue the schistosomes live in, but I've always dissected a
little bit of foot tissue out of the snails and preserved in 95% ethanol at room
temp.  I remove the operculum, cut some muscle away and use that.  You can also
place the whole animal in 95% ethanol and dissect later -- I actually prefer to
do this because the various types of tissue appear much more different from each
other and are easier to identify after they have been preserved.  Some snails
can close the operculum so tightly that the alcohol cannot get inside the shell,
though; so it's always a good idea to crack the shell with a hammer before you
drop the whole thing into ethanol.  Otherwise the tissue may start to
deteriorate.

Best,

Sandra Emme
Molecular Biology Lab Researcher