Primer specificity

M Aldeeb via (by moh_aldeeb from
Fri Jul 8 23:16:03 EST 2011

Dear All,
I searched for an 18S rRNA gene of an organism on the NCBI website. I found the sequence and designed primers using the primer tool on the same website. Now, I want to check the primer specificity (i.e. can I use this primer as an identification tool to detect a specific species using PCR) and the question is:
do I need to BLAST the primer sequence (both forward and reverse) or to BLAST the sequence of the amplified fragment (PCR product). Many thanks in advance.

Best regards

Email: moh_aldeeb from
Personal Website: