Primer specificity

Cathal Garvey via methods%40net.bio.net (by cathalgarvey from gmail.com)
Sat Jul 9 13:10:07 EST 2011

As the primer sequence is all that matters to the PCR reaction, I would use
the primers.

Although I am a stranger to species-specific PCR (and therefore I am not
sure how reliable 18S would be for this task), I imagine you will be trying
to establish which alternative species have the closest match. From that,
calculate a primer annealing temperature below the Tm of the primers but
above the next-best-match. If there are too many alternative matches with
moderate odds of amplifying (ignoring matches that are basically impossible
in your sample), maybe try again with primer design.
On 9 Jul 2011 17:32, "M Aldeeb" <moh_aldeeb from yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
> I searched for an 18S rRNA gene of an organism on the NCBI website. I
found the sequence and designed primers using the primer tool on the same
website. Now, I want to check the primer specificity (i.e. can I use this
primer as an identification tool to detect a specific species using PCR) and
the question is:
> do I need to BLAST the primer sequence (both forward and reverse) or to
BLAST the sequence of the amplified fragment (PCR product). Many thanks in
advance.