Immunochemistry question (probably dumb)

Mon Jun 20 16:17:54 EST 2011

Dear Peter,

this question is not dumb. If complete antibodies were used, one
should have amplified the other (and vice versa). That's what people
usually do to amplify signals!

Apparent differences in the stained structures (I assume some sort of
detection by photography, video or confocal scanning microscopy),
simply may arise from different sensitivities in the optical channels
used.

One possibility I can imagine where such an experiment gives reliable
results is, when the secondaries are directed against the other
species' Fc, but missing their own Fc (means they are incomplete
antibodies), which might be quite unusual/uncommon.

HTH

Wo