Biotin-streptavidin - will the bond survive SDS? Urea-Thiourea-CHAPS?

Yoram Gerchman via methods%40net.bio.net (by gerchman from research.haifa.ac.il)
Tue Jun 21 14:48:08 EST 2011

Greetings netters

I am trying to label surface proteins fluorescent for 2D gel.
The local Thermo-Pierce rep. have suggested using EZ-Link® Sulfo-NHS-Biotin
(which should biotinilate surface protein only) together with streptavidin
conjugated fluorescent dye

The idea made sense for a while but then I started to worry:

Will the biotin-streptavidin bond last the IEF loading buffer
(Urea-Thiourea-CHAPS)?

Will the biotin-streptavidin bond last the SDS in the 2nd dimension?

Many thanks
Yoram