qPCR analysis with error bars

Siefker, Ed B. via methods%40net.bio.net (by EdwardSiefker from creighton.edu)
Wed Nov 30 17:06:51 EST 2011

I'm sorry if this isn't the right list for this. Hopefully data analysis
counts as a "method".  If there's a better list for this, please let
me know.  I was surprised to not find a biostatistics list.

I'm trying to plot some qPCR data in a bar chart as fold change
with error bars.  I understand the ddCt calculation just fine, but
I can't find any information on how to carry standard deviations
through the calculation.

I have two conditions I'm looking at, control and mutant.  I have
three biological replicates for each.  For each of those, I look at
a control and reference gene.  For each gene I do 3 qPCR reactions.

>From that I get a mean Ct and SD for the triplicate PCR reactions.
To get the dCt, I subtract the reference from the control.  What do
I do with the standard deviations?

I see a lot of info out there about qPCR, but no one answers this question.
Am I missing something simple here?