Sterilised LB media getting some medicine smell, while I was growing E.coli culture

Thu Sep 22 13:24:48 EST 2011

Sudheer,
   Medicine smell ?? Medicines smell differently.  Can you describe the smell better?  Did the colour of the media change after you autoclaved it?  And how long did you autoclave it?

Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [mailto:methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of sudheer sangeetham
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:12 PM
To: Methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: Sterilised LB media getting some medicine smell, while I was growing E.coli culture

Hi Guys
I am curious to know one thing that, I sterilised the LB media (which was
little more diluted). I inoculated the cultures with suitable antibiotics
and while I was measuring the OD of bacteria I could smell some medicine was
there from the media, I really dont understand why it was like that, but not
like earlier. After the OD was 0.55, i induced with IPTG but unfortunately i
could nt able to express the protein.

The only mistake I did was LB media was little diluted, except this, I think
I have done everything right...

With curiosity, I would like to know what could be the problem? If any one
has any idea......

Thanks in advance

--
Sudheer Babu.S