oligonucleotide-polypetide conjugation

alexandra balliou via methods%40net.bio.net (by alexandra.balliou from gmail.com)
Thu Apr 19 16:20:06 EST 2012

First of all, I would like to congratulate for this so helpful forum.
I am a Ph.D student at the department of organic chemistry and
biochemistry. I am starting now my studies and a part of my project is
to find a method to conjugate a 14 mer oligonucleotide with a 42
residues polypeptide helix-loop-helix conformation. I am thinking of
conjugating them by a hydrazone bound, where a maleimide-hydrazine is
incorporated in the cysteine residue at the loop region and a
formylbenzoate group modifies the oligonucleotide. The reaction is SN2
so I was thinking of using DMSO as a solvent for the conjugation in
combination with tetra t-butyl ammonium counterions. Do you think that
the method  will work? I am looking forward to hearing from you. Thank
you in advance!