Folic Acid solubility in bicarbonate solutions

Sat Aug 25 16:14:45 EST 2012

In article <mailman.577.1345239050.3456.methods from net.bio.net>,
justin.washizu from gmail.com says...
> Could anyone tell me what the solubility of Folic Acid is in
bicarbonate
> solutions? I'm looking for specific concentrations. I have looked
> everywhere and I have only found that it is relatively soluble in
> bicarbonate solutions, but no where does it state at what concentration of
> folic acid and bicarbonate.

At the near neutral pH of NaHCO3 solutions, both COOH-groups of the
folate Glu (I assume that you are talking of the mono-Glu form, not the
poly-Glu present in cells) will be ionized, so unless you expect
specific interactions with the HCO3-, simply use the published
solubility for the disodium-salt.