10X PBS

Hiranya Roychowdhury via methods%40net.bio.net (by hroychow from nmsu.edu)
Tue Jan 3 15:08:01 EST 2012

Since you say you have few questions, I am assuming that you are quite certain about your composition.  PBS stands for "Phosphate buffered saline" so it is NaCl, not KCl.  Usually we use Na-salts for the phosphate combination.  Potassium phosphate and -biphosphate may be used, but for all practical purposes it is Na- that is preferred since lot of compounds do not go well with K+

Hiranya S. Roychowdhury, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Health & Public Services
NMSU-Dona Ana Community  College
575 527 7725 (office)

From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] on behalf of sudheer sangeetham [sudheer.pbm07 from gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 9:52 AM
To: Methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: 10X PBS

Hi People

I have few doubts regarding phosphte buffer saline (PBS). Recently I found
one article related to my work, in that they used PBS ( Nacl/iP ) pH-7.4.
Nacl/iP does it mean, it should contain Na2HP04 and NaH2PO4 and Nacl but
not KCl, am I right?

I have prepared the buffer like this

NaH2PO4 ( 0.038M)
Na2HPO4.2H20 ( 0.162M)
NaCl (1.5 M ) but when i check the pH it was showing 6.4, is it correct?
did I do any mistake....

Could any one please tell me did i do any mistake?

Thank you in advance

--
Sudheer Babu.S
Ph.D student