10X PBS

Tue Jan 3 16:21:40 EST 2012

You might be referring to the use of PBS in animal systems like mice or rat.  When they mean PBS i.p. (was it written this way?), it means administration of PBS into animal was via intraperitoneal injection or i.p (in the abdmomen).   Unless otherwise told, PBS contains both KCl and NaCl along with Na2HPO4 and NaH2PO4.  Refer the Sambrook manual or the current protocols in Molecular biology or any standard tissue culture manual for the  PBS recipe.  When the monobasic and dibasic salts are corrected added, the pH will be around 7.5.  If it is 6.4, your recipe is not right.
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [mailto:methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of sudheer sangeetham
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 11:53 AM
To: Methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: 10X PBS

Hi People

I have few doubts regarding phosphte buffer saline (PBS). Recently I found
one article related to my work, in that they used PBS ( Nacl/iP ) pH-7.4.
Nacl/iP does it mean, it should contain Na2HP04 and NaH2PO4 and Nacl but
not KCl, am I right?

I have prepared the buffer like this

NaH2PO4 ( 0.038M)
Na2HPO4.2H20 ( 0.162M)
NaCl (1.5 M ) but when i check the pH it was showing 6.4, is it correct?
did I do any mistake....

Could any one please tell me did i do any mistake?

Thank you in advance

--
Sudheer Babu.S
Ph.D student