10X PBS - better add KCl

David-Paul Minde via methods%40net.bio.net (by davidminde from gmail.com)
Wed Jan 4 07:11:45 EST 2012

indeed adding KCl to your phosphate buffer is highly recommended - and
essential for keeping (most precious) proteins "alive" during
freeze-thaw cycles (with NaCl only, phosphate buffer will precipitate
and solution turns acidic - pH about 3 or so ...)
cheers,
David Minde
2012/1/3, Jayakumar, R <R.Jayakumar from roswellpark.org>:
> You might be referring to the use of PBS in animal systems like mice or rat.
>  When they mean PBS i.p. (was it written this way?), it means administration
> of PBS into animal was via intraperitoneal injection or i.p (in the
> abdmomen).   Unless otherwise told, PBS contains both KCl and NaCl along
> with Na2HPO4 and NaH2PO4.  Refer the Sambrook manual or the current
> protocols in Molecular biology or any standard tissue culture manual for the
>  PBS recipe.  When the monobasic and dibasic salts are corrected added, the
> pH will be around 7.5.  If it is 6.4, your recipe is not right.
> Jay

David Minde, Drs

Cellular Protein Chemistry Room 707
Department of Chemistry
Faculty of Science
Utrecht University
Krytgebouw
Padualaan 8
NL-3584 CH Utrecht
The Netherlands

office phone +31 30 253 4105
android  +31 652614443
'Blood, toil, sweat and tears always were a good mixture'.
(good friends among each other)