10X PBS

Sun Jan 8 19:03:37 EST 2012

In article <mailman.80.1325782734.3721.methods from net.bio.net>,
R.Jayakumar from roswellpark.org says...

> I feel that there is no necessity to teach about pH to this group of
> scientists. But to know why deionised water cannot change the pH of
> buffers significantly

Actually, it does, because the pH is determined not by the
concentrations of corresponding base and acid, but by their activities.
And these change upon dilution, especially when you start with highly
concentrated solutions, where non-ideality is more significant.