10X PBS

Mon Jan 9 10:12:45 EST 2012

Very true, but the change in pH is really not that much within the pKa range and is deionised water has a lower impact on their activities than tap water or distilled water has.  I have not tested this and hence I hope I am right :-)  Please correct me if I am not.
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [mailto:methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2012 7:04 PM
To: methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: RE: 10X PBS

In article <mailman.80.1325782734.3721.methods from net.bio.net>,
R.Jayakumar from roswellpark.org says...

> I feel that there is no necessity to teach about pH to this group of
> scientists. But to know why deionised water cannot change the pH of
> buffers significantly

Actually, it does, because the pH is determined not by the
concentrations of corresponding base and acid, but by their activities.
And these change upon dilution, especially when you start with highly
concentrated solutions, where non-ideality is more significant.