DNA sequence alignment

Peter Ellis via methods%40net.bio.net (by pjie2 from cam.ac.uk)
Sat Jun 9 11:56:46 EST 2012

Look at the alignments!  Compare what BLAST does to what ClustalW does.
  Check the orientation of your sequences.  BLAST will try both forward
and reverse, ClustalW assumes you're giving it the sequences the same
way round. That might be why BLAST "sees" the similarity while ClustalW
aligns them wrongly.

Best wishes,
Peter